Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 2: Settling into work, getting a feel for being a local

Hi all,

Week 2 and I'm starting to feel like an old hand.  I'm catching the #17 bus to work as it stops right outside the house and it a lot more pleasant than taking the tube.  Discovered a giant Sainsbury's supermarket and its head office just around the corner from the office (and a red bus, of course)

 Day 13
 Day 14 - a rare hour of sunshine during the day and every man and his dog went to the park for lunch (including me with my 3.50 M&S sandwich-and-crisps meal deal).  This park is about the size of my living room.


On Day 14 I noticed this sign on the outside of a pharmacy on Holloway Road.  An indication to the kind of people in this part of town?
 Day 14
 Day 15 saw us help Kate move her stuff into Megan's house.  Kate is moving into Steffi's room once we move into our house, but there's a 2-week overlap period where Kate will be staying with a friend but all her furniture will live in the living room (i.e. my room).  So this is us with 5 sofas, 3 tables, 3 desks, lots and lots of chairs and 3 flatmate's washing hanging up to dry.  Cozy!  Good thing is we managed to help Kate out by taking some extra furniture and kitchenware off her hands, which means we don't have to buy it in the new place.  Bonus!  I am now the proud owner of proper English teacups with roses on and everything.
 Day 16.  Raining.  And a big red bus.

Day 17, mounted policemen and a big red bus at Piccadilly Circus.  Got my fill of stereotypes this week.  Friday night drinks for Vic & Jay's leaving, met a nice bunch of Kiwis, had a good night out on the town and still managed to get the last tube home.  Well done me!

Week 2 has passed in a blur.  I feel very at home here; it's a stark contrast to the places I've been for the last year.  It feels really good to have a social network, a job that I enjoy, good colleagues, a familiar language and culture.  I am on the mend :)

x ML

No comments:

Post a Comment