Saturday, May 22, 2010

Riots in Thailand but I'm OK

Hi everyone,

Just got back from 5 days in the Thai countryside to hear that the Red Shirts vs. government clash got really serious: shooting in the streets, anti-govt rallies, burning down buildings even here in Chiang Mai, and there's currently a curfew in place across may provinces in Thailand between 9pm and 5am. We'd been out of contact with news and didn't know anything about it until we got back this afternoon. Apparently even banks were all closed for the last 2-3 days.

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm safe and sound inside my guesthouse. A bit disappointed that I can't hit the night market tonight but maybe my bank balance will thank me for that in the end :P There has been some activity in Chiang Mai but a lot quieter than Bangkok, and most locals think the curfew will be lifted the day after tomorrow.

Will write more soon!

Love
May Lee

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you are safe. try to skype tomorrow.
    love,mum

    ReplyDelete